Approved by Voters
With 70.8% support of most Marin County voters (excluding Tiburon and Belvedere), Measure C was passed in March 2020 to fund proactive, state-of-the-art wildfire prevention and preparedness efforts.
10-Year Parcel Tax
Measure C approved a tax to all parcels of real property in Marin County within the defined boundary of the “Member Taxing Entities,” starting in 2020-21 for a period of ten years. The parcel tax levies up to 10¢ per building square foot ($75 per multifamily unit) for ten years, providing $19,300,000 annually, with annual inflation adjustments, independent citizen oversight/audits, and low-income senior exemptions.
For Wildfire Prevention
The revenues raised by this tax are used solely to plan, finance, implement, manage, own, and operate a multi-jurisdictional agency to prevent and mitigate wildfires in Marin County.
Created the Marin Wildfire Prevention Authority
A Joint Powers Agreement among 17 member agencies covering most of Marin County created the Marin Wildfire Prevention Authority (MWPA) to coordinate fire prevention activities using Measure C funds.
Funds will be used for ﬁre protection and prevention services, including but not limited to:
Timeline of the Measure C Effort
• September 2018: Marin County Fire Department released a report: Lessons Learned from 2017 North Bay Fire Siege
• April 2019: Marin County Civil Grand Jury released a report: Wildfire Preparedness, A New Approach
• August 13, 2019: The Marin Wildfire Prevention Initiative was presented to the Marin County Board of Supervisors. Video
• September 24, 2019: The Marin Wildfire Prevention Initiative was presented to the Marin County Board of Supervisors. Board Action | Video
• October 29, 2019: The Marin County Board of Supervisors was asked to adopt a Resolution and Revised Joint Powers Agreement to participate in and form the Marin Wildfire Prevention Authority.
• November 19, 2019: The Marin County Board of Supervisors was presented with the First Reading to formally request Board to place a Parcel Tax Measure on the March 2020 ballot to fund operations of the Marin Wildfire Prevention Authority for 10 years. Board Action | Board Resolution
• March 2020: Measure C Ballot Measure passed
• April 2020: First Operations Committee meeting
• May 2020: First MWPA Board Meeting
• June 2020: 2020/2021 First MWPA Work Plan Adopted by MWPA Board